by Julie Kosker
I reserve the right to say this again, but Pizza Mountain Pies are my ALL-TIME FAVORITE CAMP FOOD! So easy and delicious, I chow down these sandwiches like a half-starved chipmunk.
1. Build your fire. Your fire needs to be built early enough that your large pieces of fuel are partially burned and have created a nice bed of coals. For mountain pies, I always use split logs in the log cabin design. Your pie iron will fit smoothly between the layers of firewood to sit in the center coals.
2. Collect ingredients
3. Preheat your pie iron by placing it in the fire, on the coals for a few minutes.
4. Either butter your bread or place butter directly into each side of the hot irons.
A hot iron will scorch your picnic table, so either take pride in your pie iron burns or assemble the pies with the iron on the ground.
5. Add your toppings to one piece of bread.
6. Carefully close your pie iron so that the plain piece of bread is now on top of your toppings.
7. Stick your pie iron into the middle of your fire, resting on a bed of hot coals.
8. Check your pie after 2-3 minutes. When the fire is hot, the pies toast really quickly!
Be sure to always walk the pie iron away from your body and close to the ground.
9. Tap the closed pie iron on the ground to help loosen the sides of your pie.
10. Carefully open the pie iron to check for doneness. Your pie is done when the outside of the bread looks like a nicely toasted grilled cheese sandwich
11. Wait a few minutes for the pie to cool down, EAT & REPEAT!
Sometimes… I even share my perfectly toasted pizza mountain pies with those I love :)